Open Letter to My Tween on her Birthday


Dear Sophia,

When you were a toddler your signature phrase was “me do it!” From taking your first steps, to jumping in the deep end of the pool, to climbing the highest tree, you insisted to all who’d listen that you could do it. And every time I nervously let you try, you would do it, taking my breath with you as you did. And you’d always be so proud of yourself. Beaming in glory and fully believing in yourself. Despite your anxious mom and your developing abilities you’d always find a way to accomplish your task. To reach your goal. You were the one who always knew what you were capable of. And I was always there incase you needed someone. 

As you’ve grown up there have been so many times I’ve watched you listen to yourself. Not to the swirling thoughts in your head but to the wisdoms in your heart that always guide you towards what’s right.  You’ve always known what you were capable of and what was right for you. You’ve always been beyond your years in this sense and it has always astounded me. 

As you continue to grow into the wonderful young lady you are becoming don’t forget that you have that place inside you that knows what’s right. Middle school is here and kids can be so cruel and sometimes the world can be down right mean. Hold onto your innocence and that little girl inside you that knows what she is capable of. Stick your ground and don’t give in when it seems everyone else is. Remember to go to that place in your heart. Go there when your peers are pressuring you. Go there when you find yourself comparing your looks or your image to models in magazines or celebrities on Tik Tok. Go there when school gets overwhelming. But most importantly don’t feel like you have to go there alone. I too was a middle schooler once and have come out on the other side alive. I’ll be here holding your hand until you let go. Until you say “I can do it”. 

Lastly, remember that you are loved. You are loved because God loves you. He created you with a purpose. Love yourself in return. And never stop listening to your inner voice that says “me do it”. I know I don’t have to tell you that you’ve go this, because in your heart you already know. 

Love, 

Mom

Comments

Popular Posts